Follow Us For The Latest Updates

Follow Us For The Latest Updates

HSI calls and puts top the list amid volatile market

macquarie structured warrants 20200914

The warrants market saw a dip in the turnover for the week ended 26 June, falling 42.9% week-on-week (w-o-w) to RM392.2mil. Warrants over Malaysian shares again took up the majority of trading in the warrants space, making up 58.3% of total turnover, while warrants over index underlying took up the remaining 41.7%. 

Despite the Hong Kong market having a shorter trading week in conjunction with the Tuen Ng Festival last Thursday, warrants over the Hang Seng Index (HSI) i.e. HSI-HAV (put warrant) and HSI-C9S (call warrant) emerged as the most popular warrants, recording a total trading volume of 164.6mil units and 163.1mil units, respectively. Investors had mixed views over the HSI as they net bought 11.1mil units of HSI-HAV and 13.5mil units of HSI-C9S. 

It was a roller coaster ride for the Hong Kong market last week with the index having a big upswing on Tuesday, surging 1.6% to close at 24,907.34 points following Trump’s statement clarifying that the US-China trade deal was still fully intact. The US President tweeted to deny a news piece, which took US trade advisor Peter Navarro’s statement “out of context” to state that the trade deal was over. However, the HSI then declined a total 1.4% over the next two trading days (Wednesday, 24 June and Friday, 26 June) to close at 24,549.99 points last Friday, down 0.4% w-o-w. 

On the local front, the temporary suspension of short selling, which was to end on 30 June 2020, has been extended to 31 December 2020. This move was introduced by the Securities Commission and Bursa Malaysia back in March as a measure to stabilise the stock market and to reduce distortion of share prices caused by heightened volatility in the market due to the Covid-19 pandemic.  

Trading wise, a put warrant over FBM KLCI, FBMKLCI-H8R, garnered good demand, with bearish investors trading 30.7mil units. The FBM KLCI slipped 1.3% to close below the 1,500-level last week, finishing at 1,488.14 points.  Meanwhile, SUPERMX-C91, FGV-C95 and VS-C30 were among investors’ favorites last week, recording trading volumes of 29.1mil, 26.8mil and 26.4mil units, respectively. 

Top warrants by volume traded:

Warrant nameVolume
IssuerExercise level / priceExpiry date
HSI-HAV164.6Macquarie20,00030 Oct 2020
HSI-C9S163.1Macquarie27,60028 Aug 2020
HSI-C9T74.6Macquarie26,20028 Aug 2020
FBMKLCI-H8R30.7Maybank1,50828 Aug 2020
SUPERMX-C9129.1CIMB4.5031 Dec 2020

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us via our hotline at 03-2059 8840 or email us at

To view the full list of structured warrants available on Bursa Malaysia, kindly visit

Provided for Malaysian residents information only. It is not an offer or recommendation to trade and is not research material. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. You should make your own assessment and seek professional advice.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on telegram

More Posts

Regionally, LHI plans to (i) strengthen their ready-to-eat (RTE) and ready-to-cook (RTC) products in Singapore market, (ii) improve production of aquatic feed in Vietnam operations and (iii) capitalise on the stability of poultry prices stemmed by the Indonesia’s government effort to enforce aggressive culling activities and improve feed volume to capture additional market share.

technical focus

Technical Focus – 25th Nov 20

A leading content and consumer company, serving 5.7m or 75.0% of Malaysian households. Stay at home trend saw the streaming services, AstroGo recorded 65.9% YoY growth to 1.4m active monthly users in 1HFY21. Home shopping and commerce business segment; Go Shop recorded its strongest revenue in 2QFY21 at RM145.0m (+59.3% YoY). Technically, the flag-formation breakout above RM0.795 may lead to further upside with next resistances at RM0.84-RM0.88 with long term target at RM0.945.

market pulse

Escalated selling activities

Selling pressure across the board escalated as the FBM KLCI underperformed its regional peers to finish sharply lower yesterday. Market sentiment has turned dour as the recent spikes in Covid-19 cases are dampening the prospects of economic recovery. Meanwhile, the uncertainty over voting of Budget 2021 deters investors to take further positions. We leave our views unchanged that the lower liners are toppish, hovering largely in the overbought territory that may see further pullback over the near term.

Get Wiz

Another option to spot for decent entries

This is because not all the stocks being chosen will perform during that particular day, thus it may be triggered in the following 5 days due to the ongoing trading activities on those stocks that we have picked. 

Let us show you one of the counters that we have put in on 17th of November – APPASIA